enowning
Wednesday, August 17, 2005
 
From an interview with the artist Anselm Kiefer earlier this month in Le Monde:
You speak of your chaos. While your work gives one the opposite feeling of extreme coherence.

I am full of contradictions and every work is the result of a struggle between the different parts of me, a war in my head. When you say my work is coherent, this may be true. But, that which my work feeds on, life, that goes differently. If it didn't go differently, there would be no need to create. Do you believe there is a great coherence between the work of Heidegger--that of a great philosopher--and his life, that of a man with an execrable character? When Celan, who admired his books, visited him, he was devasted by the man he discovered. Contradiction is everywhere. This is why man indefinitely seeks to rebuild a place where he can feel in peace, in order to escape his own chaos.
Any translation errors are entirely my fault. Please send me corrections.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
For when Ereignis is not sufficient.

Appropriation appropriates! Send your appropriations to enowning at gmail.com.

View mobile version