enowning
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
 
Mark Wrathall's book of essays on U2 makes the news. I got it when it came out because of the contributors, but frankly, there's more than enough Bono in most people's lives already. And I say that as someone that hasn't seen U2 since the Boy tour--that "I Will Follow" was some song! They had to play it a second time for an encore when they ran out of tunes.

At least with the essays in this volume, from the disposable-pop-icons-and-philosophy series, the connection between the icon and philosophy is less tenuous than usual. However, my overall impression is that this collection would have been more descriptively titled "U2 and Religion". Bono is more about passion and believing, than he is about matters one typically associates with philosophy, like say, thinking.

In related news, contributor to this procession of U2 tractata, Iain Thomson gets a grant to spend his time on a more substantive endeavor.
 
Comments:
I've not read the book - primarily because I have so many other books to read, but secondarily because I've not been a fan of most of the books in the series. However Mark talked about some of the things on a mailing list I'm on which he allowed me to put up in a post over at my blog a couple of years ago.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
For when Ereignis is not sufficient.

Appropriation appropriates! Send your appropriations to enowning at gmail.com.

View mobile version