enowning
Saturday, February 28, 2009
 
In-der-Blog-sein

Spout blog invokes Heideggerian idealism in an interview with Alejandro Adams, the film director.
I don’t hate films. I have hated individual films, and I hate certain tendencies in film, as it were. I am obstinately not part of fanboy/girl culture — but some of them throw around more hate than most critics I know, so I’m not sure if the distinction is useful. I like to think that I’m more down with a Heideggerean ideal of thinking as an affirmative act than anything else. I really believe it’s more about love than anything else.

Cocteau said that the spirit of creation is the spirit of contradiction. I think sincere artists and critics always embody this maxim. But I don’t think that opposes your Heideggerian ideal. Hating films begets the spirit of contradiction which begets the spirit of creation–a Moebius strip in which “hate” and “love,” “creation” and “contradiction” are inextricable from one another. This whole Greek-inflected obsession with taxonomy and classification and hair-splitting is my least favorite bit of Western intellectual baggage. We need a more organic, intuitive, even sensory means of arriving at truths. My impetuousness–or carelessness–with words can probably be traced to my own frustrated efforts in that regard.
I like how the interviewer and interviewee spell the adjectival Heidegger differently.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
For when Ereignis is not sufficient.

Appropriation appropriates! Send your appropriations to enowning at gmail.com.

View mobile version