enowning
Monday, February 09, 2009
 
In James Morrow's The Philosopher's Apprentice, an ethicist discusses bringing up pod children.
“I’m afraid our efforts to help the children may prove even trickier than we imagine,” I confessed, sipping my coconut ale.

“I don't want to hear this,” Henry said.

“Martin Heidegger,” I said.

“Heidegger was a Nazi,” Brock said.

“A Nazi, a nitpicker, and the worst sort of pedant, but I still have to respect his concept of Geworfenheit,” I said.

“Sounds like a character our of the Brothers Grimm,” Henry said, sampling his mango lager. “'Geworfenheit and the Enchanted Lederhosen.'”

Geworfenheit, thrownness, the Paramount fact of the human condition,” I said. “Every person is hurled into a world, a culture, a set of immediate circumstances not of his own choosing. The authentic life is a guesr to comprehend one's status as a mortal Dasein, a self-conscious subject, an entity for whom the riddle of situated existence — being there, inhabiting the given - is a central problem, if not the central problem.”

“I don't know what the fuck you're talking about,” Henry said irritably, an attitude I attributed to his enthusiastic beer consumption.

“But if the average person is thrown into the world,” I continued, “then Edwina's offspring have been shot into the world, like a circus performer getting blasted out of a cannon. For most of us, pondering the mystery of Dasein leads to anxiety. For Londa and Donya and Yolly... well, I shudder to imagine what they might be facing down the road. Exponential despair. Angst to the nth. But there's reason for hope. According to Heidegger, a Dasein can ameliorate its encounter with nothingness by adopting a nurturing attitude toward other beings.”

“And according to me, a Dasein can ameliorate its encounter with nothingness by not reading Heidegger,” Henry said.

Pp. 101-2
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
For when Ereignis is not sufficient.

Appropriation appropriates! Send your appropriations to enowning at gmail.com.

View mobile version