enowning
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
 
I was reading Babette Babich's paper on The Ister, the documentary, for next month's Heidegger Circle, and at the end there's Hölderlin's poem, with a translation "attuned to word order". I put on the Bruno Ganz "Hölderlin" album and followed the poem. I was surprised that Bruno skipped a line:
Sie sollen nemlich
Zur Sprache seyn.
Translated as:
They should namely
To language be.
I looked up the poem in my Sieburth (1984) translation of Hölderlin's hymns, and it doesn't have that line either. Then I looked in the 1942 lectures on the poem. Heidegger reads the poem at the beginning, with that line. William McNeill and Julia Davis translate it as:
Namely, they are
To be to language.
They [rivers] are beyng toward language. They give the needed sign.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
For when Ereignis is not sufficient.

Appropriation appropriates! Send your appropriations to enowning at gmail.com.

View mobile version