enowning
Friday, February 18, 2011
 
In-der-Blog-sein

Side Effects mashes Heidegger and Sartre on the disappearing self.
What appears after the self experiences its self as disappearing? Heidegger poses the question in relation to anxiety: “Anxiety reveals the nothing.” And the revelation of the nothing is only possible because the “I” has slipped away from itself, leaving the “pure Da-sein” of the “one” in a mode of unhomely persistence (I am compressing the details for the sake of brevity…) Unfortunately, Heidegger does not tell us what becomes of the (still) living body as the “I” slips, instead: “Beings as a whole become superfluous.” But the gaps in his sketch can be augmented with an appeal to Sartre’s concept of nausea.
 
Comments:
I don't know that it is as true of the site referred to as much as it usually is, but a lot of people seem to know that MH was a Nazi official, only that and nothing more. Maybe it will prompt some other, more able thinkers, to see for themselves.

I began studying him after being warned away from him as a danger by one of Sartre's interpreters, Hazel Barnes in AN EXISTENTIALST ETHICS.
 
Re: the excerpt offered:

Wittgenstein left me with his "other minds argument" as incoherent but yet he acknowledges our privacy. So, I have a body, myself, but I cannot claim you have yourself?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
For when Ereignis is not sufficient.

Appropriation appropriates! Send your appropriations to enowning at gmail.com.

View mobile version