enowning
Sunday, January 04, 2015
 
Taylor Carman on being-towards things fall apart.
Death understood as a possibility in this existential sense, then – that is, as something into which I project – cannot be the event at the end of my life, but must instead be a dimension of existence accessible to me, something immanent in the phenomenal structure of my being-in-the-world. How is my own death manifest and accessible to me while I am still alive? Not in my being-at-an-end ( Zu-Ende-sein ), Heidegger says, but in my being toward the end ( Sein zum Ende ). Indeed, Heidegger says, “Death is Dasein’s ownmost ( eigenste ) possibility” (SZ 263).
 
Comments:
I am currently just finishing my first thorough reading of Nancy's THE SENSE OF THE WORLD, where he makes use of "being-toward." I was not familiar with that notion, so this example helps me.

Incidentally, before I found Nancy, I was floundering on MH's absence of ground. Nancy uses that in his discussion of the meaning of human freedom. Of course!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
For when Ereignis is not sufficient.

Appropriation appropriates! Send your appropriations to enowning at gmail.com.

View mobile version