enowning
Sunday, October 11, 2015
 
Salon interviews Sherry Turkle about conversations in the digital age.
In a traditional kind of conversation, a face-to-face encounter between two people, what is happening? It’s not just two people talking. There’s a kind of deep interaction, ideally, right?
Yes. I don’t need to call it deep. I really want to de-romanticize what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the basics. I’m not talking about “And now, Let’s do Heidegger” talk.
The nadir of profundity.
 
Comments:
"Uh oh, we've hit hard rock here. We're gonna have to fire up the heidegger."
 
First I wrote "The acme of profundity", but then thought, that's not right, acme is the top, the highest, while profundity is deep, in a downward direction, so I went with nadir.

Which brought to mind, mine at least, that if Martin had been a Baltic fisherman instead of a Bavarian peasant, instead of the opening being a clearing, it would be the ocean, hidden/un-hidden metaphors would be above and below the surface, etc. Heck, it works better; where's the abyss in a forest clearing?

 
Post a Comment

<< Home
For when Ereignis is not sufficient.

Appropriation appropriates! Send your appropriations to enowning at gmail.com.

View mobile version